In August of 2008, CCSC was delighted to take over operation of a second food pantry. Located at the Gethsemane Campus of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church (6856 Bellaire), this center provides another location where community members in crisis can receive help.
In 2016, Emergency Services-Southwest served 4,185 individuals from 1,528 households! Over the past eight years, CCSC has continually increased the hours of operation and services at this site. CCSC’s premise is to provide each family/individual’s request with a five day supply of food containing nutritionally balanced items. Program funding is obtained through area churches, individual donors and community organizations.
CCSC’s approach to addressing everyday basic needs assistance is three-fold:
- Develop relationships with clients, assessing their situations so that we can determine which CCSC services are appropriate and refer them to outside organizations that offer complementary types of services.
- Provide persons in need with things needed for daily necessities: food, clothing, hygiene items.
- Provide financial assistance in special crisis situations so clients can maintain consistent residency and standard living conditions by paying for rent and utilities. Weekly, Emergency Services-Southwest utilizes approximately 50 volunteers to help our neighbors in need.
- Food Packages The food pantry provides a five-day supply of food for people experiencing hunger or food insecurity. Clients receive food items necessary for well-balanced meal preparation. Special needs are met for clients who are homeless.
- Utility and Rent Assistance Emergency Services-Southwest provides financial assistance on a limited basis to those experiencing a crisis situation.
- Referrals Clients are referred to other agencies for long-term assistance and needs. The Emergency Services-Southwest Manager and dedicated volunteers regularly update/provide additional potential resources in the community. These include, but are not limited to: free/low cost medical clinics, financial help, free/low cost clothing and much more.
Emergency Services-Southwest Hours
Monday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Donations are always welcomed and needed for Emergency Services-Southwest. Items often come to CCSC through generous individuals, member churches and community drives. Most desired items include peanut butter, dry cereal, canned fruit, assorted canned goods, and hygiene items (shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, individually wrapped toothbrushes).
Donations are accepted at Emergency Services-Southwest during operating hours on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, or by appointment. To schedule a donation drop-off, please email: email@example.com.
Indicators of Progress and Success For our latest report on the effectiveness of our financial assistance to clients in crisis please click here.